Connect with us

affilate software business

Politics

Trump and Maduro confirm high-level talks between officials

Published

on


Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro delivers a speech during a pro-government rally against US sanctions in Caracas on August 10, 2019.

FEDERICO PARRA | AFP | Getty Images

The leaders of the U.S. and Venezuela have confirmed high-ranking officials from their respective governments have been engaged in talks “for months.”

It comes less than three days after both Axios and the Associated Press reported that the U.S. had opened secret communications with top members of Venezuela’s socialist administration.

Speaking at the White House during a meeting with his Romanian counterpart on Tuesday, President Donald Trump said: “We are talking to various representatives of Venezuela … I don’t want to say who but we are talking at a very high level.”

Shortly thereafter, Venezuela’s embattled President Nicolas Maduro said during a televised address: “I can confirm that for months that we have had contact.”

Maduro said the aim of discussions was to “normalize and resolve this conflict” between the two countries. However, like Trump, Maduro did not wish to disclose which officials had been engaged in the talks, citing: “various contacts through various channels.”

“Just as I have sought dialogue in Venezuela, I have sought a way for President Donald Trump to really listen to Venezuela,” he added.

The South American nation is currently in the midst of one of the worst humanitarian crises in recent memory, with more than 4 million people having fled since 2015 amid an economic meltdown.

‘An effort to gain time’

In late January, Maduro broke diplomatic relations with the U.S. after the White House recognized opposition leader Juan Guaido as the country’s rightful interim president.

Officials from the U.S. and Venezuela had not previously confirmed contact before Tuesday.

Washington has imposed sanctions on a number of high-level officials and Venezuelan state entities to ramp up the pressure on Maduro — and ultimately try to oust him as leader of the OPEC country.

More recently, Maduro and a delegation representing Guaido have been meeting in Barbados to try to resolve a political stalemate.

Maduro is using “the same tactic that he has used with the opposition, opening backchannels in an effort to gain time,” Diego Moya-Ocampos, principal political analyst for Latin America at IHS Markit, told CNBC via telephone on Wednesday.

He is trying to show that his administration is “engaging with different international actors in an effort to exhaust them,” so that the Venezuelan topic loses momentum and regime change is no longer on the agenda, Moya-Ocampos said.

What is going on in Venezuela?

A protracted political stand-off has thrust the oil-rich, but cash-poor, country into uncharted territory — whereby it now has an internationally-recognized government, with no control over state functions, running parallel to Maduro’s regime.

Guaido assumed a rival interim presidency in January, citing Venezuela’s constitution, and denounced Maduro’s government as illegitimate after he secured re-election last year in a vote widely criticized as rigged.

However, Maduro has refused to cede power. And, crucially, he still has the broad support of the military.

The minimum wage for the average citizen in Venezuela, which is estimated to be roughly $7 a month, would not be enough to cover even 5% of the basic food basket for a family of five people, the UN said in a report last month.

Politics

Vangalapudi Anitha Shocking Comments on AP CM Jagan | ys jagan | political news | 99telugu

Published

on



Vangalapudi Anitha Shocking Comments on AP CM Jagan | 99telugu

#VangalapudiAnitha #Jagan #99telugu

For More Updates:
Subscribe to:
Like us on:
Follow us on:
Follow us on:

Also, check out our other channels:
99Telugu Facts –
99Telugu Bhakti –
Machiraju Bhakti –

Please watch & subscribe to 99Telugu for more interesting Videos. Also share our channel for more political and Entertainment videos in AP & Telangana states. political news ys jagan ap capital

Source

Continue Reading

Politics

Walmart will combine its store, online buying teams, company memo says

Published

on

By


Cashiers ring up shoppers at a Walmart Inc. store in Burbank, California, U.S., on Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019.

Patrick T. Fallon | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Walmart is restructuring the company to combine its team of buyers for Walmart.com and its team of buyers for the company’s stores as the big-box retailer aims to turn e-commerce into a profitable business, according to a company memo sent Tuesday.

Walmart previously relied on the separate teams to choose products and prices for its website and stores. The two sides of the business have separate chief executives. Marc Lore, the founder of Jet.com, leads Walmart’s e-commerce in U.S. John Furner leads the store side of the business.

In the memo, Lore and Furner said they’re shaking up the structure of the buying teams. They’ll be broken up into six merchandising teams: apparel, consumables, entertainment, food, hardlines and home. The teams will buy all of Walmart’s items in that category, regardless of where they are sold.

Lore and Furner will stay in their roles and merchandising teams will report to both of them, according to the company memo. In the memo, they wrote that the change will better integrate the company and benefit customers. 

“Our customers only see one Walmart, and they must be No. 1, always,” they wrote in the email to employees.

Walmart has seen a surge of e-commerce growth, fueled by its online grocery business.  It reported online sales growth of 35% during the fourth quarter and 37% for the year.

But the e-commerce side of Walmart’s business has been costly and it’s not yet profitable. It’s had mixed success with e-commerce brands that it’s acquired and incubated. Some brands, such as in-house mattress brand Allswell, have grown. Digital native menswear brand Bonobos has had layoffs and Walmart sold ModCloth, another brand it had acquired. 

The restructuring of the buyer teams was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Walmart missed Wall Street’s expectations for the fourth quarter, after a holiday season with weaker sales of toys and apparel. The company expects e-commerce growth to slow to about 30% in fiscal 2021, but said it’s focused on driving up the sale of general merchandise such as apparel.



Source

Continue Reading

Politics

CDC outlines what closing schools, businesses would look like in US pandemic

Published

on

By


Travelers wearing masks arrive on a direct flight from China, after a spokesman from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said a traveller from China had been the first person in the United States to be diagnosed with the Wuhan coronavirus, at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in SeaTac, Washington, January 23, 2020.

David Ryder | Reuters

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention outlined Tuesday what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus becomes an epidemic outbreak in the U.S.

Schools should consider dividing students into smaller groups or close and use “internet-based tele-schooling,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call. 

“For adults, businesses can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options,” Messonnier said. She said local communities and cities may need to “modify, postpone or cancel mass gatherings.”

Hospitals may need to triage patients differently, add more tele-health services and delay elective surgery, she said.

“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this is going to be bad,” she said.

Last week, U.S. health officials started warning businesses, schools and parents to start preparing for the deadly new coronavirus that’s infected more than 80,000 and killed at least 2,700 to become a global pandemic.

“I understand this whole situation may seem overwhelming and that disruption to everyday life may be severe. But these are things that people need to start thinking about now,” Messionnier said. “You should think about what you would do for child care if schools or day cares closed.”

The CDC late Monday confirmed 53 cases in the U.S., a majority of which came from passengers repatriated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was quarantined off the coast of Japan. The data shows that 36 of the cases are attributed to the cruise ship, three patients were infected in Wuhan and later evacuated to the U.S. and the rest were largely infected while traveling overseas.

Just two cases were contracted through person-to-person contact in the U.S., the CDC said.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.



Source

Continue Reading

Trending

//onemboaran.com/afu.php?zoneid=2954224
We use cookies to best represent our site. By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies.
Yes