Connect with us

affilate software business

Politics

Labor calls for royal commission into defence veteran suicide – politics live | Australia news

Published

on


Labor has announced today it will support a royal commission into veteran suicide.

Official figures released last week showed a disturbingly high rate of suicide among current and ex-service men and women, with more than 400 deaths since 2001.

This Australian Institute of Health and Welfare research indicated that suicide rates for current and former defence personnel compared to the rest of the Australian population are higher than ever.

Australia can no longer tolerate this senseless loss of life.

This is nothing less than a crisis and as a nation we need to do all we can to tackle this.

Labor believes the best way to do this is through a thorough and comprehensive royal commission.

We are calling on the Morrison government to do the right thing by our ex-service men and women, and establish a royal commission into veteran suicide as soon as possible.

This will help to shine a light on the issue, investigate why so many of our veterans are taking their own lives, and determine what measures are needed to stop these tragic deaths.

The terms of reference should include serving men and women, their transition from active service back to civilian life, and their ongoing circumstances.

The men and women who serve our country deserve our gratitude and respect, and we owe it to them to have a comprehensive examination of how we can reduce, and hopefully eliminate, these tragic numbers.

Their deaths are heartbreaking and cause immeasurable loss and grief for their loved ones left behind, their local communities, and indeed the nation.

We know many veterans and veterans’ families have been calling for this for some time now – they want to prevent future suicides and other families from suffering in the way they have.

And we have listened to courageous advocates like Julie-Ann Finney, whose son David took his own life in February this year after a battle with PTSD.

Labor Members of Parliament have met with Ms Finney and she has made a strong case for a Royal Commission.

We want this to be a bipartisan effort – we want to work with the Government, the Parliament and the veteran community and do all we can to address the scourge of veteran suicide.



Source

Politics

How a Band of Seasoned Cinephiles Plans to Save the Movie House

Published

on

By


These days, Toby Talbot, 91, has been busy finishing her husband’s memoirs at their sunlit apartment on Riverside Drive, which is filled with posters of movies by directors like Bernardo Bertolucci and Claude Chabrol that once premiered in their theaters.

The closing of Lincoln Plaza Cinemas remains a sore spot. “He keeps our name on the marquee,” she said. “What nerve.”

She’s rooting for New Plaza. “I give them my blessing,” she said. “I want them to succeed. This was our life’s work. Dan and I were educating people, and why should that education have to stop?”

If a recent Saturday night at New Plaza was any indication, word about the cinema was getting around. An eager crowd entered to see “Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles,” a documentary about “Fiddler on the Roof.” Two ushers, Naomi Rossabi, 83, and Ruth Mucatel, 91, took tickets. During their downtime, they groused about going to the movies today.

“We hate reserved seating,” Ms. Rossabi said. “What if we’re stuck behind a tall person?”

“Young people are used to getting everything easy,” Ms. Mucatel said. “We know what it means to have to wait for things.”

But a gloomy note soon entered their conversation.

“I heard the New York Institute of Technology is selling off their property in the area,” Ms. Rossabi said. “We don’t know if this space will always be here for us. Some of us are worried.”

In fact, the school recently put a 12-story campus building on 61st and Broadway up for sale, just down the street from New Plaza’s auditorium. But a spokesman for the university said there’s no cause for alarm: those plans don’t involve their space, and New Plaza’s arrangement is secure at least until May.

But considering the travails of New Plaza Cinema, perhaps it still felt like too close a call.

“I hope this isn’t all just a pipe dream,” Ms. Rossabi said. “Because something magic still happens when you go to the movies.”



Source

Continue Reading

Politics

குடியுரிமை சட்ட மசோதாவில் இலங்கையை சேர்க்க வேண்டும்" – அன்புமணி ராமதாஸ் | Anbumani Ramadoss

Published

on



#CitizenshipAmendmentBill | #Srilanka | #AnbumaniRamadoss

குடியுரிமை சட்ட மசோதாவில் இலங்கையை சேர்க்க வேண்டும்” – அன்புமணி ராமதாஸ்

Uploaded on 11/12/2019 :

Tamil,Tamil News,Tamilnadu news,tamil latest news,latest news,breaking news,trending videos,trending news,national news,live news,live latest news,breaking news,breaking tamil news,latest tamil news,thanthi news,todays latest news,latest news tamil,today hot tamil news,today news,today tamil news,tamil trending videos,political news,tn politics,latest politics,current affairs,current political news,latest political news

#ThanthiTV #ThanthitvLiveNews #ThanthiNews #LatestNews #TamilNews #ThanthiTVLatestNews #ThanthiTVLive

Thanthi TV is a News Channel in Tamil Language, based in Chennai, catering to Tamil community spread around the world.

We are available on all DTH platforms in Indian Region. Our official web site is and available as mobile applications in Play store and i Store.

The brand Thanthi has a rich tradition in Tamil community. Dina Thanthi is a reputed daily Tamil newspaper in Tamil society. Founded by S. P. Adithanar, a lawyer trained in Britain and practiced in Singapore, with its first edition from Madurai in 1942.

So catch all the live action @ Thanthi TV and write your views to feedback@dttv.in.

Catch us LIVE @
Follow us on – Facebook @
Follow us on – Twitter @

Source

Continue Reading

Politics

Man Accused of Smacking Reporter’s Rear on Live TV Is Charged

Published

on

By


Alex Bozarjian, a reporter for WSAV-TV in Savannah, Ga., was laughing and smiling as she updated viewers on the latest of the 2019 Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run on Dec. 7.

Runners darted by, making silly faces and waving their hands to the camera during her live broadcast.

Suddenly, Ms. Bozarjian’s expression changed from one of joy to disbelief. A passing runner appeared to have slapped her on the rear. She looked shocked and upset as she tried to compose herself on camera. Mouth agape, she was speechless for about three seconds.

Ms. Bozarjian, 23, a multimedia journalist at the station, posted a video clip of the episode on Twitter, where it drew outrage.

“To the man who smacked my butt on live TV this morning: You violated, objectified, and embarrassed me,” she wrote. “No woman should EVER have to put up with this at work or anywhere!”

The man, Thomas Callaway, was charged by the police on Friday with misdemeanor sexual battery, Bianca Johnson, a Savannah Police Department spokeswoman, said. Mr. Callaway, 43, turned himself into detectives, was booked at the Chatham County Jail and was released on $1,300 bond, Ms. Johnson said.

The video has been seen 12 million times and liked about 736,000 times on Twitter. Supporters of Ms. Bozarjian zoomed in on the runner’s face and the time stamp of the runners around him in the hope that someone could identify him.

The Savannah Sports Council, which organized the run, said on Twitter the day after the event that it was helping Ms. Bozarjian and the television station to identify the runner.

“Yesterday afternoon we identified him and shared his information with the reporter and her station,” the organization said. “We will not tolerate behavior like this at a Savannah Sports Council event. We have made the decision to ban this individual from registering for all Savannah Sports Council owned races.”

As word about what had happened spread, Ms. Bozarjian became a topic on national morning and midday talks shows. She also appeared on “CBS This Morning” and shared her story. “He took my power, and I’m trying to take that back,” Ms. Bozarjian said.

Mr. Callaway spoke to WSAV and apologized, saying he regretted what he had done.

“It was an awful act and an awful mistake,” he told the station. “I am not that person that people are portraying me as. I make mistakes, I’m not perfect and I’m asking for forgiveness and to accept my apology.”

Mr. Callaway’s lawyer, W. Joseph Turner, declined to comment Saturday and referred to a statement he released on Dec. 9.

In it, he said Mr. Callaway “did not act with any criminal intentions” and described him as “a loving husband and father who is very active in his community.”

After Mr. Callaway’s arrest, WSAV issued a statement in its story on Friday.

“This conduct displayed toward Alex Bozarjian during her live coverage of Saturday’s Savannah Bridge Run was reprehensible and completely unacceptable,” the statement said. “No one should ever be disrespected in this matter. The safety and protection of our employees is WSAV-TV’s highest priority. WSAV continues to support Alex completely as this case moves forward.”

Ms. Bozarjian referred inquiries Saturday to her lawyer, Gloria Allred, who said in an email: “Alex Bozarjian is glad that law enforcement is taking this matter seriously. She feels that a reporter should be able to do her job without being assaulted.”

“We teach our journalism students to make the call if a scene is threatening in any way and pull out of the situation,” she said.





Source

Continue Reading

Trending

//onvictinitor.com/afu.php?zoneid=2954224
We use cookies to best represent our site. By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies.
Yes